I hope this is not too rude to ask...

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Yowin
Camembert

I hope this is not too rude to ask...

Post by Yowin »

But where did people get their charecter names form. I don't know, it seems personal to ask hehe.

I have to confess that Yowin was from the DAoC name generator and I stole Soulcatcher from a series of books about the 'Black Company' by (I think) Glen Cook. (I got into some trouble over it and even asked the powers-that-be to change it. They refused hehe.)

I was looking at the signatures and just *love* some of the names. There are so many fantastic names you people have chosen. I particualrly like Windraven Weatherwitch. Such a powerful name with great, ballanced, alliteration.
Yowin of the Trinovante; Friar, Level 50
A hoast of others sub-50

'Diplomacy is the art of letting someone have your way.' - Daniele Vare
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Thankyou for the kind words about my Theurgists name. I make my names up myself and try to make the surname at least fit the class and playstyle, although some come from characters I played on old Amiga games many moons ago, Javai was my first on-line persona I made the name up for a rogue in D&D.

Because I take time to find names I like I hardly ever respec - which is why when I wanted an Ice Theurg to play with I started a new character rather than respec :)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yowin
Camembert

Post by Yowin »

I like that. I also think about what I want to play and tend not to change/respec (often against wiser peoples advice hehe) but don't come up with type of fantastic names I see in signatures.

My first charecter was my scout. I really like that class. In D&D most my charecters were Rangers or Thieves/Rogues. In most computer games I take the ranged (non-magic) class, I have a level 50 Hunter in WoW. I used to had a Ranger is SWG until they took that away. I went with Friar because the small goup I began to play DAoC with had no healers. I made her quickly one night so used the Auto Generator.

Actually for my scout it is just a name I made up as most I went to take were already used :) and people were waiting in game to introduce me to DAoC.
A hoast of others sub-50

Lorthania
Mozarella

Post by Lorthania »

I used to use Tyran as a name in any RPG I played, but that didn't fit the female Briton :). So I started typing things in the name box until I came up with Lorthania for my main. Same for my cabby, most of the others have some sort of reasoning behind them :).

My cleric is a different story - I remembered seeing the name somewhere and I liked it. Unfortunately, I saw it in the patch notes on the Camelot Herald, so I now have people clicking on me to get a credit for changing their toon's appearance :-).

Still, I always try to find something more or less original, although that strategy sometimes has me stumped on the character creation screen for half an hour :).
Writing a virus for a Mac is like invading Greenland. You could but why the hell would you want to?

WoW: Lorthania - 85 BM/SV Hunter | Jalfrezia - 85 Frost Mage | Ciderbelly - 85 Warrior | Tarrmahk - Tauren DK in progress.
Xintyl
Wensleydale

Post by Xintyl »

I used to work with clinical drug trials, and some of the drugs have great names that are really cool (with slight tweaks) for characters. Zoledronate, Aredia, Flurbiprofen and Neramexane were studies I worked on for a while, others were just other drug names I thought were cool. Metiloopa came from some data entry person not being able to read the doctor's writing (should have been methyldopa). Xintyl was actually a drug name that I'd remembered wrong, so I guess it's kind of made up; no idea what it was supposed to be either lol.

I think one day the servers were down, so I rolled a char on one of the french servers and spelled my name phonetically in French to assist their pronunciation, hence Zeauoui was born and moved to excalibur after her one day on Ys.

Then I moved onto various names from Worcester's history, giving me hwicce, vertis, vigornia, dobunni and weogornaceaster.
ImageImageImageImage
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Evzy - tis my name.
Rest of them - just made up either stupid names or whatever popped into my head - other than Ichi - named after a film called Ichi the Killer - thats about the only name that has an actual history..

Tend not to put too much effort into names myself - think about being all clever n stuff and having some obscure referrence to a 12th century japanese wargod or something then realise i cant be bothered and just call them Yip or something instead :)
Currently appearing as SirEvzy - Spammer Spec in Black Ops on PS3
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Was a BW forumite/mod called Soulcatcher - guessing you had a million people asking you if you were the soulcatcher from BW?

I picked Fingoniel because someone had stolen Fingon (apparently one of my ancestors names) - bloody nightshades.

And it stuck.

Most of the rest have been random name generator names I liked the look of (except Glamis which is a somewhat famous area/castle in scotland thanks to mr shakespeare)
Mortal puppet of Flimgoblin
Captain of the Humberton Blackguard
Xintyl
Wensleydale

Post by Xintyl »

Fingoniel wrote:I picked Fingoniel because someone had stolen Fingon (apparently one of my ancestors names)
That's according to your mum though who is completely insane; you're as likely to be a descended from Fingon as I am from William the Conqueror...
ImageImageImageImage
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Xintyl wrote: That's according to your mum though who is completely insane; you're as likely to be a descended from Fingon as I am from William the Conqueror...
quite true :)

I may pick the name Zaphod for a character sometime (as obviously I'm descended from the president of the galaxy)....
Mortal puppet of Flimgoblin
Captain of the Humberton Blackguard
loren soth
Gorgonzola

Post by loren soth »

most of my names are wither from the dragonlance books or from my interest in eygptian mythos :-)

obviously there are a few exceptions but ton the whole thats the names i chosen
Warhammer age of reckoning
retired
World of warcraft
Retired
Aion
Retired
Eve online
Retired
Xintyl
Wensleydale

Post by Xintyl »

Fingoniel wrote:I may pick the name Zaphod for a character sometime (as obviously I'm descended from the president of the galaxy)....
Aaaah I wondered where the extra head and third arm came from (and you lot wondered why he's so fast at typing!) Will have to be Zaphodiel though as no doubt someone will have nabbed Zaphod.
ImageImageImageImage
Jocelynn
Cheshire

Post by Jocelynn »

Most of my characters are Joce's or Cels as Jocelynn is a pet name I got given when I was being given a row from teachers etc (irl name is Joyce).
I have one called Elorfinnor which I though sounded cool to say and I was reading Tolken at the time too so the sounds of things in that probably got stuck in my head.
Last but not least I have my merc which has been my most recent to level, called Rainbowbrite which was a cartoon I used to watch of some little girl with a rainbow dress and a magic white horse which flies. I thought it was funny at the time to have a two hand killing machine sharing the same name as a cartoon character but now I guess I'm stuck with it ;)

All of my characters have the surname Ravencrone which I stole from The Simpsons. In this one episode Lisa is trying to find her identity and dresses up as a number of things including a Goth called Ravencrone Neversmiles. She makes Milhouse kiss a rock because she claims she worships the Godess Ironica within, and Milhouse diligently kisses the ground saying Yes Mistress. It kind of stuck in my head as a funny roleplaying name for a guildmistress haha :)
Dervish
Danish Blue

Post by Dervish »

All mine are roleplay orientated. I played a LOT of pen and paper RPG's as a schoolkid and it just wouldn't seem right to name characters out of context. Each name reflects something about the characters class; either related to their particular weapon and it's use or something specific to the class that makes them unique.

Roleplay for the win.

D30 x 2

[Xin: was that a good use of a semi-colon? ;)]

Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Xintyl wrote:
Fingoniel wrote: Will have to be Zaphodiel though as no doubt someone will have nabbed Zaphod.
Reckon Arodiel could have something to say about that ;)
Xintyl
Wensleydale

Post by Xintyl »

Yes :P

If you were questionning my use of ellipsis I may have agreed. My deliberate omission would have made Fraser chuckle though ;)
ImageImageImageImage
Yowin
Camembert

Post by Yowin »

A lot of intresting sources :) I have to give my character Names more thought in future.

Yep Fin, I was asked a lot about the Soulcatcher name, some people telling me I stole it (never the person himself I imagine he did not mind at all). It was basicaly PMs out of the blue saying 'You stole my friends name' hehe. I also got some people who had a guild friend in Mid with the name go on about it. However if I remember correctly you kindly helped to end that.

Dervish, I must confess I still play a pen and paper RP. It just proves harder to gather the party these days :)

I also come across some names I like in game, so far I have resisted the temptation to if even you can.
A hoast of others sub-50

Kinan
Gorgonzola

Post by Kinan »

Names, i've always been sort of practical. i'm trying to keep my characters names short, so its easy for people to remember and type.

My first char name was combined from my real name and surname parts, it was poor ranger on Stonehedge named Serdan. Then I've created an OP minstrel (well, I thought so at that time) and named him Kinan, but I can hardly remember how did I figured out that name. Something about Kevin Keagan springs to mind, think he was coaching England team at that time. :)

For some char i've just clicked random generator for inspiration, and when I've seen smth potentially good, I've played with it a bit until result was satisfactory.

Some, like Corpsman, just determined by class. :)

I've always avoided using book, game or movie heros names, cause I want to create my own story, not recreate something not written by me and my fellow companions. :)
Kinan The Vagabond, Drinking Minstrel of The Merry Men

Also know as:

Corpsman, High Rejuv Life Saviour
Tych, Shy Pyromaniac.

Now in WAR:

Kinan, Da Shaman
Marat, Pwns YOU with his left "hand".
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

1 thing - I do wish I could change my Minstrels name - Beepbeep seemed funny for all of about 30 seconds after making it (was gonna be Meepmeep after the roadrunner but was taken - also no longer funneh) , then got caught up in Thidranki fights, enjoyed it, decided to level the thing to 50 instead of making another one with a better name - was already lvl 24 , got lazy and carried on....ah well...might report myself for being an offensive name to Outer Mongolians or something... if/when I resub :)
Xintyl
Wensleydale

Post by Xintyl »

Evzy wrote:
Xintyl wrote: Will have to be Zaphodiel though as no doubt someone will have nabbed Zaphod.
Yep, he'll tell us how he wanted to call his char Arod, but it was taken so he had to call it Arodiel ;)
ImageImageImageImage
Rinusch
Cheddar

Post by Rinusch »

As for my scout, Rinusch ---> Its a nickname derived from my own name years ago (marinus)
and theurg --> Picked it um in Simarallion (sp)

Further: Just what springs to mind really :D
Hawkwind
Cheddar

Post by Hawkwind »

Lame but most of mine were read straight off the covers of books on the shelves next to the computers.

On various servers I have:

Linux, Unix, SQL, Python

My first char name was Python a Kolbie SB on Pry but he got deleted and name was taken on excal :-(

Hawkwind was just made up as most non internet games I played were under the char name Hawk. I obvioulsy knew about the band but not a big fan.

A few other ones like my fav comic char Silvasurfer. Most are just made up or random thoughts.

My favourite char name went very early on in Beta - Feyd, from the Dune book. Evil warrior dude :)
TMM Guild Chars.
Hawkwind, Pally PVE bot ML3 have 5,7,8.
Java, Firewiz ML1
Linux, Spirit Caby ML3
Bullet up and comming Mincer
Marricus - Twig thrower ML5
Shadowman, untoa'd Inf ML3
Jpeg, BG Battlefriar ML10
Elendala, Air Theur

Red Dragon guild chars
Necrophillian, Servant Farmer
Silvasurfer ML4 BB
Tempura - Thid battle friar
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

Hawkwind wrote: A few other ones like my fav comic char Silvasurfer. Most are just made up or random thoughts:)
you might be interested to know that the Silver Surfer will feature in the next fantastic four movie, hopefully the same story line that first introduced the Surfer way back in the day.
sleepy
Aadia
Cheshire

Post by Aadia »

Aadia was a generated name, though alot of people who didn´t know my real name thought it was my real name.
Coming to think of it it does sound a bit Italian or something like that.

Never the less i´ve kinda come to like the name as a real person name too, though i´ve got a feeling Brack is gonna knock me down first if i ever want to name a kid like that.... then again can´t see what´s wrong with the name :wabbit:

All my other names are just made similar to what the original was simply for the reason i wanted an easy way of people recognising me while i usually get lost in all the other people´s different nicks !
The only thing there is that instead of the d from aadia i´d put the class in: like aamia with m from minstrel etc...

Tried making a char that wasn´t generated name and once came up with Ewyn on hibernia... no idea where i had it from but i thought it sounded nice... don´t even think i´ve still got it though.
DAOC: Retired

LOTRO: Ariel, Aadia, Allie
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Aadia wrote:
Tried making a char that wasn´t generated name and once came up with Ewyn on hibernia... no idea where i had it from but i thought it sounded nice... don´t even think i´ve still got it though.
Ewyn ...sounds a bit like Evzy imo... W is almost a V as well... hmmmm wanna be an ubertank eh!
Zeadia
Blue Castello

Post by Zeadia »

Xintyl wrote:
Evzy wrote:
Xintyl wrote: Will have to be Zaphodiel though as no doubt someone will have nabbed Zaphod.
Yep, he'll tell us how he wanted to call his char Arod, but it was taken so he had to call it Arodiel ;)
actually zaphodiel is arodiel's brother, seperated at birth, zaphodiel being taken to the highlands of scotland to be raised by large scottish men (and women), where as arodiel was sent to be brought up by a family of slaves to the king, this family happened to be a family of travelling acrobats and jesters, hence arodiel's direction in life... :P

roleplay ftw
WAR:-
Arodiel - Rank 25 Chosen - Renown Rank 17

WAAAAGH!!
Aadia
Cheshire

Post by Aadia »

Evzy wrote:
Aadia wrote:
Ewyn ...sounds a bit like Evzy imo... W is almost a V as well... hmmmm wanna be an ubertank eh!
Why do you think i deleted the char soon after??? :P
DAOC: Retired

LOTRO: Ariel, Aadia, Allie
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Aadia wrote: Why do you think i deleted the char soon after??? :P
Because...

There can be only one.
muylaetrix
Gouda

Post by muylaetrix »

muylaetrix.

my real name is Muylaert Xavier.

muylaet - rix, rix being the ghaulish for king, latin rex,

Vercingetorix (ghaulish king who tried to unite ghaul against caesar) (ver - great (english - over(lord)) , cingeto - warrior, rix - king)

Ambiorix (king of the Belgae who fought Caesar, managed to destroy 2 legions (caesars greatest defeat) before losing to Caesar) (ambio - rich, rix -king)

analogy to a Vampire World of Darkness vampire called Goratrix (mage - king ?), 2nd most powerfull vampire of clan Tremere.

Asterix (star - king) from the famous commic.
Littlerose
Cornish Yarg

Post by Littlerose »

Nearly all my toons are -roses.

For my first, Maryrose, I wanted as english-sounding a name as possible. Completely forgot about the ship! The others I guess I wanted ppl to know it was me :D

I now have Maryrose, Duskyrose, Twinklerose, Bramblerose, Necrose, Littlerose and Bigrose. The first half of my name normally depicts the kind of toon I'm playing.

My lowbie sorceror, Crofton, is named after my son's school!
Collegien
Cheshire

Post by Collegien »

My first toons name - Collegien- is the name of the village the wife comes from. It was a vain attempt to get her playing the same time i started . :/
I still have my thidranki scout Beegeewun another scout Crimsonarrow - bout the only one that sounds scoutish - I have versions of Collegien on 7 servers dont ask me why.
I have a few generated names on some servers bt mostly they are silly names like Handycars the cabby, Hpee teh sorc, Tefal the friar, Darkageofcameltoe the theurg etc etc etc

I would like to have picked names more in line with the mythology of the game but i am far too stupid fer that .
:wink: