book tips

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

hawkeye
Danish Blue

book tips

Post by hawkeye »

post your tip for any good books here guys

check out the simon scarrow eagle serie its kind of sharpe but with romans and man its some funny shit XD
come get some noobs!!!!!!
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

just read the southern vampire books (True Blood) by Charlaine Harris.
i was surprised at how good they were.
Also, the Harry Dreseden books by Jim Butcher, one of the best series i have ever read and i read a hell of a lot :)
Another good series is the Parasol Protectorate (Gail Carriger), a victorian steampunk/supernatural series, very funny in places.
sleepy
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

for anyone with an ebook reader, i can supply an invite for a site chock full of ebooks, and also audio books.
just pm me your e-mail if you want an invite, i have 5 a the moment.
sleepy
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

cheers gheng ill check out the true blood books
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

I've just read Stieg Larsson's The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo.

Not my normal reading matter but despite his almost OCD attention to detail, every property is described by it's square meterage every action is described in minutae, I found it a gripping and compelling story.

The mystery itself is incredibly complex but he manages to keep things organised in such a way that it's easy to follow.

Read the second half of this novel in a very short space of time as it was just to compelling to put down.
Bleri McThrust - Pole Armsman DAoC
Playing Skyrim

Steam id - Bleri / bpbill
Kongregate Id: bpbill
http://www.kongregate.com/?referrer=bpbill
Rayzor
Mozarella

Post by Rayzor »

Robin Hobb and James Paterson's Alex Cross novels - awesome.
DaoC Farewell Vid

PS3: Rayzor587

WoW: Back for winter <cough>
HG Forever
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

lets hope the movie is as good as the book eh bleri :-?
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

if you like your history full of griping political intrige ,backstabing some nice battles and all the family dark secrets you can think of
then i strongly recomend Colleen Mcullough's book of rome . Yes its the woman that wrote the thorn birds dont let that put you off . I can say these are they best books i have ever read and still read all 6 once a year without fail

david gemmel . as fantasy writers go i think this guy is one ofthe best and has created 2 of the most famous fantasy heros ever in the forms of Druss and Waylander . this guy has a habbit of killin ppl off which can be pretty upsetting as you have no idea who he will kill off and you get attached to the chars . he has done alot of divernt books and there all good but i think the dreani series with druss in them and the chronicles of druss the legend books are the best
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

i have every Gemmell book, I was saddened by his death as he was one of my favourite authors.
Legend never fails to make me cry, if you have read it you will know what part does it :p
sleepy
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

hawkeye wrote:david gemmel . as fantasy writers go i think this guy is one ofthe best and has created 2 of the most famous fantasy heros ever in the forms of Druss and Waylander . this guy has a habbit of killin ppl off which can be pretty upsetting as you have no idea who he will kill off and you get attached to the chars . he has done alot of divernt books and there all good but i think the dreani series with druss in them and the chronicles of druss the legend books are the best
I was lucky enough to have him as a customer, when he was in this country. Lovely guy and loved his books.

On the subject of killing off your heroes, Geroge R.R. Martin does that very well with his Song of Fire and Ice series. His characters aren't good or evil there just ... No one is safe from the realities of intrigue and subterfuge surrounding Kingmaking. Can be quite annoying though sometimes when you really start to like a character and then he/she is gone.
Playing Skyrim

Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

hawkeye wrote:lets hope the movie is as good as the book eh bleri :-?
Don't have any sort of hope for the movie tbh, can't imagine they would be able to do justice to the intricacies of the plot.

When I finished it I decided not to read the second in the series straight away but read another completly different novel instead. However I enjoyed the first so much I just couldn't stop wondering how Lisbeth Salander and Kalle Blomquist would evolve so went and got it.

Second book in Stieg Larsson's Milennium series is The Girl who Played with Fire. Started of a bit slow for me as Larsson's attention to detail meant a lot of the previous books plot was covered. However once he got past that I found it yet again an excellent thriller. The story and background was much simpler this time but we learnt a lot more about Lisbeth and her history. Once again the final answers could be worked out early on but the thrill is in getting there and flushing out the detail.

Overall I reckon the Millenium series deserves it's place at the top of the best sellers list.
Playing Skyrim

Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

I have read the first 12 George RR Martin Wildcard books. They were very good. I keep hoping that they will be made into a Film or TV series. Havent read any of his fantasy books yet but they are on my to do list.
sleepy
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

i almost forgot to add raymond E Feist to that list
start with book one the magicain about the childhood of pug and read the rest about 20 i think of em all are dam good i love how they follow various generations in the same land of midkemia . mind you the 3 mistress books are just outstanding
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

Ghengis wrote:i have every Gemmell book, I was saddened by his death as he was one of my favourite authors.
Legend never fails to make me cry, if you have read it you will know what part does it :p
erm after <cough> dies and they goto the camp of uther ? .P
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

hawkeye wrote:i almost forgot to add raymond E Feist to that list
start with book one the magicain about the childhood of pug and read the rest about 20 i think of em all are dam good i love how they follow various generations in the same land of midkemia . mind you the 3 mistress books are just outstanding
Read and loved the first 3 midkemia books, the rest are sitting on my ereader waiting for me to finish reading the new discworld book :D
sleepy
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

Ghengis wrote: Read and loved the first 3 midkemia books, the rest are sitting on my ereader waiting for me to finish reading the new discworld book :D
I'v just started mine :) Although (apart from Graphic Novels) I find it the one novel best suited to paper due to the footnotes. On my Kindle it is just a question of highliting the number and pressing select then back when finished but so much easier to look at bottom of a paper page.
Playing Skyrim

Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

i converted a few graphic novels to epub format out of curiosity, they arent great on an ereader, hoping that the new android ipad rival will be better for comics.
sleepy
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

if you 2 have just started on these then your in for a real treat . AS they just get better and better . but dont forget the mistress ones there are 3 the 1st one is mistress of the emire set in a sort of alterante feudal japan . but its all tied in with midkemia
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

those are the ones co-written by Janny Wurts?
sleepy
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

yes thats them
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

david eddings . erm just read the belgariad . dont bother with any others he is just rehashing the same story in a different enviroment . pretty cheep really the lazy sod
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

hawkeye wrote:if you 2 have just started on these then your in for a real treat . AS they just get better and better . but dont forget the mistress ones there are 3 the 1st one is mistress of the emire set in a sort of alterante feudal japan . but its all tied in with midkemia
The Mistress of the Empire series are some of my favourite fantasy books ever. But I may be biased as I do like a strong female lead :)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

i agree jav those 3 are great . the famale lead was pretty novel for a fantasy book i thought and found it refreshing
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

The Hollows series of books by Kim Harrison.

40 years ago a mutant genetic strain of tomato wiped out half of humanity causing the supernatural community ( who were mostly immune) to come out of the closet and help humanity survive.
Present day, a Runner (bounty hunter) tried to leave the supernatural equivalent of the FBI to form her own private detective agency along with her partners, a pixie and a vampire.
great books, funny, erotic, exciting.
sleepy
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

John Connolly's Charlie Parker series - starts out as a detective type thriller and slowly descends into something with a layer of the supernatural with creepy and scary dudes popping up left right n centre - can't recommend them enough, well written and paced, funny at times and light years ahead of other thrillers by Deaver / Patterson etc etc...

The Conn Igulden Ceaser series is a cracking read as well, really enjoyed those - got the Ghengis Khan ones to read next.

Another fave author is Harlen Coben - really good thrillers with the kind of twists that make you go aaaaahhhhhh nice one! I have many signed copies of his books as he lives not far from my sister in law in the states and drops signed copies off at his local book store - even got one for my birthday that he signed and drew a big cake on for me - pride of place on the bookshelf that one :)
Currently appearing as SirEvzy - Spammer Spec in Black Ops on PS3