New PC

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Twigbob
Danish Blue

New PC

Post by Twigbob »

Hi Guys,

Im building a budget gaming PC, but its been many many years since i did such a thing and no longer have a clue about anything.

I was hoping you might give me your opinions on this please!

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3
Gfx - Gigabyte Geforce GTX460 (Overclocked to 715mhz) 1GB DDR5
RAM - Kingston 2 x 4GB PC3-10600 DDR3
HDD - WD 1Tb 7200RPM 64MB Cache

Thats all the important gubbins!

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Lorthania
Mozarella

Post by Lorthania »

As it happens, I'm looking to upgrade my own gaming PC. I had personally decided on a Phenom X4 955, based on the fact that I only ever play World of Warcraft and that CPU will do nicely for that - no use spending more than I'm going to need. Of course, if you play more demanding games as well, that does warrant the choice for an X6.

I'd personally go for an ATI card such as the HD6870 (I have that one in my PC now), but I'm an ATI fanboy :).

Also, do you really need 8 GB of RAM? Granted, RAM is not as expensive as it used to be, but I still see anything over 4GB as luxury :).
Writing a virus for a Mac is like invading Greenland. You could but why the hell would you want to?

WoW: Lorthania - 85 BM/SV Hunter | Jalfrezia - 85 Frost Mage | Ciderbelly - 85 Warrior | Tarrmahk - Tauren DK in progress.
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Looks pretty good.

Unlike Bart, i'm an Nvidia fanboy :P

Tried a few ATI cards in the past and had nothing but problems, however my current Nvidia GTX280 (stock speed) is still running perfectly after almost 3 years and even copes well with the latest releases.

The one upgrade that gave me a huge performance boost was swapping out my old mechanical hard drives for a couple of solid state drives.
They've been steadily dropping in price and aren't so insanely expensive now.
DAoC: Retired
Many Other MMO's: Retired
SW:TOR Retired
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Stick with the console - no worrying about being l33t, no online cheating as prevailent as pc gaming and you don't have to replace its innards every 6-12mnths!!

Not that I am converted but DAOC is probably the last epic thing I will have played on a PC...
Currently appearing as SirEvzy - Spammer Spec in Black Ops on PS3
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

i just got a GTS 450 for 85 quid . and im very happy with it has full diectx 11 support 1 gig GDDR5 . should get a few years out of it hehe

cat can you drop a link to the drives plz very curious now
come get some noobs!!!!!!
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

hawkeye wrote:i just got a GTS 450 for 85 quid . and im very happy with it has full diectx 11 support 1 gig GDDR5 . should get a few years out of it hehe

cat can you drop a link to the drives plz very curious now
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productli ... y=priceAsc
DAoC: Retired
Many Other MMO's: Retired
SW:TOR Retired
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

nice one cheers for the link

oo the bigfoot looks tempting maybe next month . wow had no idea they droped this much cool

oh and just to agree with cat . iv also tried a few ati cards in the past too much arseing about for me . im also an nvidia fan
and for the differences in the chips these days ill go with the less problematic one heh
Last edited by hawkeye on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twigbob
Danish Blue

Post by Twigbob »

I'll have a look at th other hrs cards, thanks for the tips!

The reason I picked it 8gig of ram is cos it's $50 more, Which is like 25 euros, so I just thought why not!
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

not been funny bud but iv always found that you dont need massive amounts of ram just go middle of the road with a decent to good gfx card and your good
just remember in the last 2 years how many ppl with uber pimped out machines have had problems with games . mainly due to the games not haveing cought up with the tech as of yet aion for example top end comps would have a fit and crash all the time due to them useing ..old code still like the same as they used in doac with the same shitty servers . hence once ppl goto the end game and experienced a few lag fest keep wars . the game died . with increadible speed i may add hehe never seem ppl bail on a game faster than that . 3 months and it was dead
but i digrese its your cash m8 just dont too top end heh
Twigbob
Danish Blue

Post by Twigbob »

Hmm, if I drop 4gb of ram I can get the the hd6870 for the same overall price, better option?

I still ps3 it up evzy! I just miss mmo's!

Just wanted a comp that will run them and will last a while!
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

id say 4 gig is fine
Lorthania
Mozarella

Post by Lorthania »

Catalina wrote:Looks pretty good.

Unlike Bart, i'm an Nvidia fanboy :P

Tried a few ATI cards in the past and had nothing but problems, however my current Nvidia GTX280 (stock speed) is still running perfectly after almost 3 years and even copes well with the latest releases.
I used to have Nvidia until they introduced their problem-laden FX series at the end of the last century. I needed a new card, bought ATI and never went back again. The reasons for that are pretty much the same as yours for sticking with NVidia, so there you go :-)

Of course, if you're not bothered about either brand, just look at which card gives most bang for the buck when you buy.
Writing a virus for a Mac is like invading Greenland. You could but why the hell would you want to?

WoW: Lorthania - 85 BM/SV Hunter | Jalfrezia - 85 Frost Mage | Ciderbelly - 85 Warrior | Tarrmahk - Tauren DK in progress.