Guild Wars 2

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

I was also going to say Ranger for Yrrab :)

I think I'll most likely be a Mesmer, though Elementalist also appeals and I can never rule out being a Guardian (but I know I'll hate it in pvp)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

well jav i have a tip for you .. you can go into pvp at lvl 1 and your insta made lvl 80 .. so make a class you wanna try out and go play it a bit to test it out .. if you dont like it delete it and go again

even if you hate pvp its still a good way to get a good idea on a class

but for me its more than probably gonna be a ranger and a mesmer
might even make a bleed speced assasin just to see how it works . Might be fun stacking 20 to 30 bleeds on someone then running off while they drop dead

oh just remember in pvp they strip all the racial abilities you get in pve

no no jav guardians are insane i saw vids of them taking on like 8 ppl solo and winning or if they didnt win they just caused total chaos till they got backed up
come get some noobs!!!!!!
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Yeah guardians were a bit overtuned in the last beta weekend.

They're a fun class though, and since you can even equip a staff or scepter you get some decent ranged abilities to use in keep sieges.
Awesome in PvE as well since it's quite a tactical class.

Tried the mesmer out as well but just couldn't get into the whole clone/phantasm mechanic.
It's very much a buff/debuff (boon/condition in GW2) class.
DAoC: Retired
Many Other MMO's: Retired
SW:TOR Retired
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

i agree about mesmer cat . i just fancy one class thats a total change from the norm for me . and i keep comeing back to it

hehe i like the look of guardians saw a few running about with rifles too . but the worst guy used a 2 handed hammer . omg he hit hard

thought i would mention another thing i noticed also .. the huge variety in pve quests .. there are the usual go get me 8 of this ones yes . but the one i liked was a small side quest for a kenel master to help him with his wolf pups .. you get morphed into a wolf and have to play with the puppies till you get a heart sign from them
also the fact that anout 30% of the entire pve game will be spent underwater .. and once underwater you get a new set of skills ect which is a niffy thing . not to mention how good the animations are underwater
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Oooo, I am properly excited about this now. Client installed, accounts registered. Now does anyone want to borrow two small children from the 25-30th August?
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

I'm pretty fired up as well. I think there is a stress test tonight?

Sadly I'm not going to be around for the headstart :(
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Yeah, there's a 4-hour stress test tonight at 8pm (i think) UK time.

So if you've pre-purchased you'll be able to log in and play for a bit.
Other than a few issues trying to log in for the first 5-10mins of the previous stress tests, they've been very stable with no problems.

Looking forward to launch now, hopefully we'll be fully moved into our house by then.
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Oh thanks for the info on the stress test tonight. I think tonight just became McDonalds for tea night :)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Another stress test tonight but starting at midnight.

Had a very very brief play last night. Loved the character generation lots of choices to make pretty characters :)

First tried Mesmer, couldn't make sense of the skill sets at all, but still suspect I'll be making one of these at launch.

Next tried Elementalist, things went boom til I equipped a dagger then I went boom, alot. Will probably also have one of these.

Finally tried Guardian, enjoyed this the most partly cos I really liked the look of the armour and the skills seemed relatively simple to use. Probably have one of these for pve adventures - which leads me to a question.

Can you trade gear easily between characters or is it all the dreaded bind on acquire?
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Awful trouble getting at first but managed to play a bit - tried a Guardian, Thief , Elementalist and Ranger.

Ranger here I come to start with :) Maybe a bit of Guardian and Thief later. Didnt like Elementalist at all.

This on GW"2 gacebook page:

We will be conducting a Stress Test on Friday, August 10 from 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time to 8:00 PM PACIFIC Time. Which as Jav says is midnight here.

I'm pretty sure some of the gear I found wans't bound but I check if I log on tonight what server/name are you ill try posting some to you :)
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

I started up on Ring of Fire as that was mentioned in this thread. I did briefly between crashes see someone called Yrrwig and thought it might be you but was booted before I had chance to work out how to send a tell.

Character names were Windraven/Favail/Javai, I may try and stay up for a bit tonight but little 'uns been teething for a week so sleep is a precious commodity in our house at the moment.
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Yep that was me :) Yrrwig/Yrrab/Yrrwigo and one other I cant remember :)
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Didn't get a chance to log in last night and probably won't tonight either.
Bit too busy with packing.

Only 2 weeks till early access launch though :D
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

well tried tonight to get on and couldnt kept getting the error code for ports or firewalls .. turned of avast and my winds firwall .. got the same thing .. i have no clue whatsoever how to mess with ports and the website they recomend was garbage

so im sorry to say ill probably be asking for my money back and just forgeting it
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

I had that as well. Did 2 things and evenually got in

1. Ran the pgram as administrator
2. Closed and relaunched program about 50 times then got in and then it was pretty stable.

Hope its just the stress test/volume
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

hawkeye wrote:well tried tonight to get on and couldnt kept getting the error code for ports or firewalls .. turned of avast and my winds firwall .. got the same thing .. i have no clue whatsoever how to mess with ports and the website they recomend was garbage

so im sorry to say ill probably be asking for my money back and just forgeting it
Think that's to be expected during a stress test, I wouldn't give it up just yet.

I expected the first hour of the stress test to be disconnects and not getting in game so I went and got some much needed sleep instead.
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

hawkeye wrote:well tried tonight to get on and couldnt kept getting the error code for ports or firewalls .. turned of avast and my winds firwall .. got the same thing .. i have no clue whatsoever how to mess with ports and the website they recomend was garbage

That's the error you get when the login server is down.

They post alot of real-time updates on twitter for the beta/stress tests and i noticed they did a full login and server reboot just after the stress test was supposed to start the other night, so i guess that might have been what was causing the problem.
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

hmmm well ok ill wait till launch then ..since its like 2 weeks away
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Looks to be another stress test 7-8pm UK time tonight (Sunday)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Neat I'll try and be there
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Heres a question for you all.

On my guardian the no 1 quickslot had three attacks lited faithful strike, pure strike and true strike - what the difference and how does it work?
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

It seemed to be a rotation, the Mesmer has something similar with a sword equipped. Could do with a game manual :)

Just took and defended a keep, picked up a load of gold contributions with Mesmer, either the Mesmer was working quite well or most of the people there never took/defended a keep before.
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Yrrab wrote:Heres a question for you all.

On my guardian the no 1 quickslot had three attacks lited faithful strike, pure strike and true strike - what the difference and how does it work?
Quite a few classes have a chain of abilities in slot 1.

You don't have to keep mashing the button or anything, just activate and it's like an auto-attack chain.

There's a nice character builder here that will show you any attack chains from slot 1.
In particular, guardian is one of the few classes that can perform a combo solo. The 2h hammer auto-chain ends with an aoe ground buff, and can be followed up with the slot 2 ability for a combo.
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Thanks for the skills link, cant see any significant 'crowd control' on the Mesmer, but maybe not looking in the right place. Did like the style of the Guardian alot and for pve may well be my first choice, Ele for WvW I think, it's good to make thing go boom :)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

There isn't a great deal of crowd control in the game.

Most classes have a very short duration stun, but the majority of CC is in the form of snare, blind and confuse (where enemies afflicted with confusion take damage every time they perform an ability).

The mesmer gets alot of boon and condition abilities, and also quite a few stealth spells. They also get a very nifty group teleport that comes in very handy in RvR.
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Hmmm I'm going to get very confused - you know i like simple classes :)
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Yrrab wrote:Hmmm I'm going to get very confused - you know i like simple classes :)
Heh, can't get any more simple than a ranger, it's pretty much point and shoot :P
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Another stress test tonight (15th August) from 8pm till midnight UK time.
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Yay for stress tests at peak EU time.

Also saw the list of worlds has been announced, are you guys set on Ring of Fire, only Desolation and Fissure of Woe sound nice :P (not based on anything except their names!)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

I have no preference for server
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief