utorrent

Funny links, guess the movie threads, anything else off topic.

Moderator: Stranglehold Moderators

Ghengis
Danish Blue

utorrent

Post by Ghengis »

a warning, apparently the makers of the utorrent client have signed some deal with the major movie companies which equates to them having spyware to drop movie downloaders in the poo.
if you are using utorrent 1.7 or later then you should think about going back to a 1.6.* release or using a different client alltogether.
sleepy
Rayzor
Mozarella

Post by Rayzor »

nice head ups! :)
DaoC Farewell Vid

PS3: Rayzor587

WoW: Back for winter <cough>
HG Forever
Dervish
Danish Blue

Post by Dervish »

Sad news when this was announced but has any of the DRM or spying stuff been demonstrated yet? People only jumped on that bandwagon because BitTorrent Inc. sold out to Warner Brothers. An easy jump to make but version 1.7 has had good reports so far hasn't it?

Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

i was using utorrent 1.7 but my main source of torrents now rejects that client so i had to switch to another.
whether there really is spyware or not i dont want to lose out on my favourite source of files.
sleepy
Bobiskey
Stilton

Post by Bobiskey »

Sounds like sad news. Luckily its not true :)

Cohen, some guy behind utorrent and some movie moguls have joined forces for trapping piraters. Err movie moguls/Cohen's buy out of bit torrent .com which is owned by same dude that owns utorrent kinda fueled theses rumours.

If you running 1.7+ grab Wireshark or some other packet sniffer and log the network traffic. Nowt funny going on. Relax if you on the client in question. Change if you must but be at ease RIAA/MPAA know nothing more or less about you then they could find out just by jumping on a torrent.

Relax.
Bob

P.S. http://torrenthelp.depthstrike.com/2007 ... about.html
.: Give PG Tips title :.
Bob <Fates>
Dervish
Danish Blue

Post by Dervish »

Interesting. It was widely assumed that the fabled 1.6 client would be banned from torrent servers yet it seems 1.7 is?

I'm happy to keep using utorrent but not obviously not if some hosts are 'playing safe' and banning it? If it really is clean Bob why are they banning it? Are they just scared?

Who is your fave torrent host/server Ghengis?

Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

www.perpetualnight.ca

its not that they are the best source of stuff but i love the forum/community aspect of the site and one of the main uploaders there shares my tastes in music and tv shows.

you need to sign up for a username and password but its all free and the files you download are guaranteed to be the ones you want, there are never any fakes there.
sleepy
Dervish
Danish Blue

Post by Dervish »

Thanks for that. :)

Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

did you sign up there Dervish?
sleepy
Dervish
Danish Blue

Post by Dervish »

Not as yet - I'm having THE day from hell today and all I really want to do is go ******* mad.

When I've stuck the last pieces of my shattered optimsim regarding "customer service" back together I may well consider it :)

Bobiskey
Stilton

Post by Bobiskey »

Just comes down to being scared yeah.

Being an ex torrent seeder of many many gigs of crapola, I've seen site admins put on a big front about they don't care about movie moguls and stuff, but when it comes down to it they have a lot more to lose then you or I so the slightest rumour sends off alarm bells. Banning Utorrent puts them as ease. But being honest, does nowt. They can get all the info they want at the end of the day, Nothing you can do about it. Live with that. Download what you want and the world will be a happy place. :)

Or like me, feck it off for being to slow. Grab some Usenet access and cap out on downloads all the time. (/leaves to check todays 15 gigs).

Smile.
Bob
Bob <Fates>
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Bobiskey wrote: Or like me, feck it off for being to slow. Grab some Usenet access and cap out on downloads all the time. (/leaves to check todays 15 gigs).
Indeed, not touched torrents in ages.. use giganews - cap out all day n night, tis ridiculous tbh - far too much media now :(
Currently appearing as SirEvzy - Spammer Spec in Black Ops on PS3
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

feeding and clothing my family and keeping a roof above their heads leaves me unable to afford usenet.
sleepy
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Ghengis wrote:feeding and clothing my family and keeping a roof above their heads leaves me unable to afford usenet.
Somethings are more important than food n roofing tbh ;)
Currently appearing as SirEvzy - Spammer Spec in Black Ops on PS3
Bobiskey
Stilton

Post by Bobiskey »

Easy to justify Usenet access, I just did 56 cd's from Train Singal. This allows me to edumacate myself and therefore earn more money ;)

Plus some ISP's carry free usenet access tho limited. 90% of my stuff comes from NTL free access leaving my paying very little to pay usenet.com for the last of the stuff am after. win/win :)
Bob <Fates>