Howdy ho :)

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Soulflare
Oatcake

Howdy ho :)

Post by Soulflare »

A nice feature for you on the WAR website :)

I'm interested to know if any of you are ex-WoW players and if so, what are the main differences or similarities between the games?

Do you feel the classes/races are balanced?

Is it easy to get into the game? I have tried many MMOs, only to be put off by the way the game introduced itself.

I've ordered a Collector's edition (the day they released, how could I not?!) and I'm looking forward to taking part in the Open Beta. Yes, I have cried myself to sleep at not getting into the closed Beta but that's the way it goes.

I'm currently MT in a successful (Illidan down tonight, Woot!) but casual raiding guild in WoW, but I will be looking to spend some time having fun in WAR as well.

From what I can tell, you won't discriminate against people that don't have all the time in the world to play? (If so, I will definitly be looking to join you guys for some fun on the launch, so we can see how we get along :))

Sorry for all the waffle, I am sure you are quite sick of the millions of questions but I'd appreciate any feedback you are willing to give :)

Love and kisses!
Lorthania
Mozarella

Post by Lorthania »

Well, the early levels in WoW were very easy-going, with the secluded starting area and basic quests. Early levels in WAR are mayhem with you being dropped in the middle of a conflict zone. This makes you feel part of the game from the first second and the mechanics are introduced at a nice pace. I can't tell you about class balance though as I never really made it that far :).

WAR definitely is rougher around the edges than WoW, but it has some nice features that make it worth a try - unlike all too many MMO's which really don't offer anything special. That being said, trying for yourself is the only way to find out, really :-).
Writing a virus for a Mac is like invading Greenland. You could but why the hell would you want to?

WoW: Lorthania - 85 BM/SV Hunter | Jalfrezia - 85 Frost Mage | Ciderbelly - 85 Warrior | Tarrmahk - Tauren DK in progress.
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Hullo!

Setting wise it's a war zone but it's quite a relaxed introduction to the skills etc. (as you'd expect from any MMO - gotta cater for the 'first timers' after all)

Similarities:

WoW UI
Solo questing friendly

Differences:
RvR - pvp that matters
Public Quests and Open groups - you don't _have_ to solo ;)
The focus isn't raiding at the end - though there are dungeons to crawl it's not designed around repeatedly running big raids. The "end game" is the RvR and the PvE in the city sieges.

Bear in mind I only played WoW for 10 levels (thought it was nice and all but didn't have time for it given I was still playing DAoC when I tried it) so I can't really say all that much about it, but the first 10 levels of WoW and the first 10 levels of WAR both struck me with the "ooh this is shiny, what no slash commands?" :)
Mortal puppet of Flimgoblin
Captain of the Humberton Blackguard
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

I found WoW simpler to get into in the early levels though it may be the case that more tutorial type tips and hints will appear in WAR during OB and release (they probably assume the Closed Beta testers have done this kind of thing before).

The key difference for me in the mechanics is the idea of rvr combat - while I didn't do much pvp in WoW (I got bored before it was properly introduced) my feeling was that it didn't make you feel part of anything shared beyond your guild whereas in WAR the landmasses are contested (albeit divided so you can xp in safety) and each thing you do contributes to the points your side has so you feel more of a shared destiny with the rest of the realm rather than only really feeling connected to your guild.

The basic mechanics of fighting are fairly similar though I would suggest that WAR has more customization of abilities (through tactics and morale abilities) and the classes are perhaps a little harder to get the full potential from.
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Soulflare
Oatcake

Post by Soulflare »

Sounds great so far :D

I like the idea of being dropped into a situation, though a few pointers always help. If it's similar to WoW in it's GUI, that should make a big difference for me. Sad possibly, but familiarity is good sometimes too.

In terms of the group stuff, is it easy to get involved? The one downfall of WoW (imho) is that the PuGs tend to be really dire, so the better players tend to stick within their guilds. Do you see this being a similar issue? Or is it made moot by the way the game works?

I'm thinking of rolling a Chaos Chosen, purely because I loved playing Chaos (Khorne, in those days) on the tabletop version.

It also looks like a 'Tank' type class of the game, would that be the correct assumption? I love being a Tank in WoW and would think that it'd probably be a smoother initial transition into WAR for me, playing a similar role. Though ofc, it's not an absolute.

Also, is there a way to change careers, or are you locked in?

I appreciate the feedback you've given, I hope you don't mind all my questions :D
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Can't change careers but that's what the other 9 character slots are for :)

alt-itis!

There's open groups and public quests - open groups are basically a list of all groups around you can just click and join.

Public quests are multi-stage encounters where people will tend to congregate (form open groups), work through the encounter and often say "let's go do another PQ in this chapter"....
Mortal puppet of Flimgoblin
Captain of the Humberton Blackguard
Soulflare
Oatcake

Post by Soulflare »

Cool, sounds very simple and sensible too!

I LOVE alts, I have 7 Lvl 70's in WoW, it's pretty ridiculous.

:D
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

had some real hoots in CB with random groups.
the first time someone joined a group me and the missus had made i thought it was a bug :)
i didnt realise that groups were open by default.
i camr to love the open group idea and found that hanging around PQ`s was a great way to hook up with other players.
the interface is easy to use as it is similar to most MMO UI`s.
its a shame that WAR takes more from TT Warhammer and not the Warhammer FRPG as it was fun to upgrade your career there and work out the right career path.
i was really hoping to roll a troll slayer and move up to giant slayer :(
also a shame that there are no skaven.
hopefully some of this will appear in expansions.
i am also hoping that somewhere down the line a 40k mmo will turn up.
sleepy
Tikuto
Cheddar

Post by Tikuto »

hello, mate!

I'm in the closed beta, which now ended on Monday the 25th of August. I knew way before Mythic had hold of the Warhammer licence or whatever it is that got them working on it. i knew from then it'll be a brilliant game better that World of Warcraft.

I have been in WoW for a year or two, and began to dislike it after the first expansion. It's obviosly better than WoW, and you'll really really enjoy the public quests. The first one I ran into was "teh awesomez"!!

My feelings on career balance are indifferent and balancing is always an issue. Though it seems enough that I barely scream out "that's SOOOO over-powered!".

Getting started is easy though a little different. There are bazillions of quests that you can do or move quickly onto the next chapter. You may notice leveling-up is too fast, but I feel it's actually just "alot of quests". you'd only feel dissapointed if you are a completionist, if that's a word, completing all nearby quests as if grinding.

now im off to watch Family Guy. bb! :D
Disciple of Khaine

Hello, guild. Seen the guild in EU closed beta EN Server 01 and was trying to join but was on the wrong side (duh). :(

I am in beta. Ya rly! :o