Monday night RvR

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Monday night RvR

Post by Fingoniel »

Someone suggested we make monday nights a guild RvR night - I think this is an ace idea. Starting tonight :) 8pm GMT at sauvage central.

Whether we go to the Gorge, take a keep (I have a ram already :)) or follow the zerg for an evening it'd be grand :)

We'll do something similar to what Girigu's RvR was supposed to be like - take turns at leading the group around. I'll start off tonight's then if anyone else wants a shot just say.

It'd be nice if these go on even if I can't make it to organise, our officers and would-be officers should step into the breach and get everyone rallied round :) (even if we get only 3 people turning up we can still have an HG-follows-the-zerg night ;))
Last edited by Fingoniel on Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortal puppet of Flimgoblin
Captain of the Humberton Blackguard
Pog
Stilton

Post by Pog »

Capital idea, my good man.
I shall endeavour to be there and do my usual kamikazi act.
Not played too much at rvr with my wiz, but I shall make you all proud with my argh...jerk...stagger...crumble-to-the-ground style.
What time are we doing this thing tonight?
Farscape is on tonight till 19:30 and there is just nothing short of the 2nd coming that is going to tear me away from that.
We are the people...person...well, pleb, really!
Hinty
Leerdammer

Post by Hinty »

Sign me up Guv' :)
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

time is 8pm - edited the post to add it :)
Second
Double Gloucester

Post by Second »

i'm done at work at 8GMT so i wont be on untill about 9GMT =)
Jiggs
Danish Blue

Post by Jiggs »

tonights objective: get second killed :)
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

can catch the second wave, Second :)

My only problem with keep taking is that:

Fing is better for taking undefended keeps (ram carrying/building)
Ererim is better for defended keeps/defending keeps.

need them on different accounts ;)
Second
Double Gloucester

Post by Second »

bah =)

me, isude, sunis and that last theurg that i dont remember the name of:P allmost managed to take a keep on sunday=)

if we had waited to everyone were full pow then maby we could have done it. archer didnt hurt me with my bt and sunis' guard on me so we hammered on the door =)

got it down 10% when we decided it was booooriiiiing and suicided:P
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Not quite the roaring success we all wanted it to be but still a laugh :)

We managed to get two full groups at one point! Nice one for turnout.

The plan was to take Scathaig... didn't quite go like that... after a brief and bloody milegate fight (we surprised a group of hibernians on the far side of albion mile gate (amg) ) we went to Dun Crauchon, met up with Sunis and headed back to meet the stragglers. After being delayed at AMG (we saw a skald, some tried to chase then gave up, we then saw two lurikeen and chased after them) two full groups of Nolby Pride level 50 RvR veterans smashed into our flank and sent us all back to the bind point.

Try number two had us killed a bit outside the TK by some hidden hibernians... but we got ressed, regrouped and headed back out. To Crauchon for rams again and all tooled up, we headed to Dun Bolg (thinking a closer keep would be easier) where we met some resistance.
Nothing insurmountable, but a brief skirmish ensued with casualties either side... more on their side though :)

Deciding against attacking a defended keep we went to Dun na nGed, set up the first ram and started bashing away. Things went well, minor casualties to the constant barrage of arrow fire. A lurikeen eldritch came to say hello but was quickly cut down.

The second gate proved as easy as the first, hewn into pieces by the wood.

Alas, ignoring the words of caution from the wise (our master chaplain warned us to be prepared before we assaulted the tower), the impetuous led the way straight to the Lord, where a long and bloody battle ended in an almost mortally wounded Chieftain Ged but (alas) a dead Humberton Guard.

Not disheartened by our defeat we quickly rallied round, taking a fast group tailored to kill the lord (after all the doors were still open) Jiggs led them towards nGed. But it was not our night, the group got split up on the way, cornered by Hibernian forces and some particularly nasty monsters within Briefine, and slaughtered.

Catalina and Mashrok escaped to bring the terrible news to the reinforcements at the teleport keep. Disheartened, some left.. but after the dead released and ported back the rest of us decided that since nGed was not to be ours today we should harry the enemy in the fields of Emain. After much to-ing and fro-ing a surprise attack from the back by hibernian forces sent what was left of the guard home in a rout.

Same time next week? :)
Last edited by Fingoniel on Tue Nov 19, 2002 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Lessons learned:
1. /stick in RvR is not /stick in PvE
You need to pay attention all the time, if you lose stick - run/sprint to catch up. If you lose sight of everyone - say as soon as possible, not 5 minutes later :)

2. communicate!
/loc is a good tool until we all get to know the scenery enough to give it names.
If you see incoming, yell which direction and if possible which race...
It's very easy to just yell 'inc' or 'mids!' (I do it all the time) but that'll just make everyone mill around in confusion...

if you do 'mids south!' or 'inc west!' people know exactly where to turn.

3. spread out
Whilst stick is good for moving together through the frontier, it's suicide in a fight :) one aoe spell will catch us all. If you hear 'inc', first thing you should do is break stick and spread out. If we've managed to get a direction, turn to face the enemy.

4. keep moving
This applies more to whoever's in charge than those following really....
Don't dally. Don't sit around waiting for people - especially not in front of a milegate. If you're going to wait - wait inside a friendly keep or the portal keep.

Don't leave people behind. Unless they've got most of a full group (and even then) they're very unlikely to make it through. Better to wait a bit longer at the portal keep than to risk everything.

5. stop and think
Don't just charge into keeps (*tsks at Fingoniel :)*) make sure you're prepared for the Lord. Have a plan before you leave the TK.
Don't bother going if you don't have rams (or 50 people)

These are what I got from last night anyway - I'm sure others will have much to add :) (like all the stupid things I did ;))

We did a lot of stuff right, I was quite impressed actually! :) we took both doors down which is better than some attempts in the past *ponders Renaris* we'll get our revenge on Chieftain Ged one day :)
Jiggs
Danish Blue

Post by Jiggs »

In the end it was a great attempt, if Vorcyn and Rayzor had been with us at Ged we would have taken the keep even with the charge.

Problem is when you lose a few key personel everyone left has to work 2x as hard, and for those with little experience this was a real test!

I'd like to say that: Skalar, Catalina, Isude, Vorcyn and Rayzor all seem to really be on the ball and most of you could do no worse than learn from them.

Second is utility for us, enables a weaker group to achieve much harder things and as such leaving him to die in the courtyard is suicidal for the rest of us.

Next time we will clear out the keep before killing the Lord, we can't take chances like that.

I'd like to say about /stick and spreading out ignore what Fin said above its wrong. AT ALL TIMES be aware who is leading you AND where they are. As soon as you see enemy you break formation and prepare to fight. As soon as the fight is over look for your leader and re /stick him. It is NOT PvE where you rest for 5 mins after a fight and pat each other on the back.

Personally i would advise anyone 40+ to go RvR at least once a week, even if you want just to solo xp in alb frontier.

My idea of fun is piss about and make jokes and be suicidal AFTER we got the keep NOT before :D

Also people need to read this forum and communicate/help each other more. From now on i aint helping ANYONE who i dont see posting here.

PS i'd like to say good job to Sunis as well cos i know he has a hard time understanding all of us :D
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Good points Jiggs :)

Yeah, having everyone move by themselves isn't great - wasn't very clear above (I only meant break stick when you hear inc.. but reading it again it doesn't come over that way :))

It's a good idea to go RvR at 40+ as much as possible if only to get rid of the 'panic' factor - that's what hit me at nGed anyway :) 'argh what do we do! charge!' :)

In RvR I feel like I'm level 10 in PvE and we just started trying grove nymphs and am all confused as to why they're coming 3 at once :)
I'm about the same level of confusion in RvR so far... I imagine a lot of us are :) but we'll get there.

Who's all up for it next week? :)
Caewen
Cheddar

Post by Caewen »

Are these nights only for the 40+? I have a lvl28 cleric and a lvl28 paladin and would like to join in too if possible. Or would characters at that level just slow everyone down? Haven't done much rvr so I don't know about these things.
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Well we had Tinytanya (level 32 cleric) there last night :) so all are welcome...

just be warned that you will die lots, possibly even to monsters (xp death).

Your cleric will probably be more useful than the paladin admittedly (heals don't miss :))
Second
Double Gloucester

Post by Second »

Fing promise me you wont lead ever again!

we seems to die every time you take controll..=)
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

hehehe :)

no fun ;) We'd probably die anyway :) I just accelerate the process....
Jiggs
Danish Blue

Post by Jiggs »

Lemming RvR™
Hinty
Leerdammer

Post by Hinty »

it was a laugh. i do think the main problem ws that allot of us haven't been RvR and many of those that have Haven't been on a keep raid before. i sugest that if you haven't done so yet tag along on a few keep raids and see how its done. (if posible some of the higher levels could tell the lower levels when the raids are and take them allong.)
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

It's difficult to get keep taking experience unless you get a guild keep taking group really...

The keep retaking groups for our frontier are good, but aren't very often (or start very late sometimes) but if you can get in with them tis good...

Also when you do get on a keep take (sometimes the zerg in emain takes DC) there's often a massive force there that can knock down the doors with weapons and easily kill the lord, so no preparation for what we had last night (small, not particularly high-level force taking a keep)

But all experience is good :) If you see an alliance keep-retaking message on the line, give it a shot :)

We managed to get both our rams assembled and in range of the doors which was good :) and I've heard over the alliance line a few times of "Both doors down at X, just kill the lord and it's yours" so we're not the only ones that lose to keep lords :)
iolan
Cornish Yarg

Post by iolan »

Just want to let you now Jiggs: I read the forums. I can't afford you not helping me. :lol:
Pog
Stilton

Post by Pog »

Yeah, I know.
Jiggs help is the only reason that I read the forums (that and to find out how Fin's rash is coming along).
:wink:

Seriously though - Jiggs does seem to know what he's doing: I've never seen anybody peel a cucumber as well as him. :lol:

I must say that I was a bit frustrated on the raid with all the waiting around (I was to blame at times with not binding at CS) for people who decided to do the thing: ooh - look a tree...and over there a pretty little luri-THWAK!

Having said that, I must add that I'm no expert with only 2 rvr chars (lvl's 2.7 and 1.7)

If there was a fault with Fin's leadership, I'd say it would have to be not being a hard enough on the stragglers. Maybe we should also decide on a slightly later time so that everyone can get there on time (it's very frustrating to have to wait for 90min before everyone is there)

Nice one, Fin. I did have some fun near the end...and certainly learned a thing or 9.
:lol:
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

I'm too much of a 'never leave a soldier behind' type :) (although could have done with more of that at nGed)

If we do a later time, people will still be half an hour late for that ;)

What we could do is organise stragglers at the PK:
First lot is off to claim a keep. If they successfully take the keep we sort out getting all the stragglers in a group and to wherever we need to be. Otherwise we all regroup at the PK with a stronger force.

Might need to have someone suicide to lead the stragglers to wherever... but not a problem :) Fing's lemmingy enough :)
Pog
Stilton

Post by Pog »

Not the worst idea I've ever heard!
Sounds like the beginning of a plan....
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Hrm, need to decide when I get my surname back :)

I need to lead something and not get us all killed...

oh well never then :(
Rayzor
Mozarella

Post by Rayzor »

sounds like a good plan to it every week imo.
get more rp's for the guild.

i enjoyed the first fight at amg when we shocked then dang hibbies!
just a shame i have to get up early, and so had to leave b4 time :(

i think ppl learnt alot about rvr
i agree whole heartedly with jiggs about stick. we all need to stay together, by sticking on our leader. split when u see enemy or someone says inc. then after fight (if we aint dead :P ) find leader again and re-stick asap. it is easy to lose ur grp out there, and as we found out last nite u cant hang around for too long.

anyways, same again next week for me! :)
Second
Double Gloucester

Post by Second »

Fingoniel wrote:Hrm, need to decide when I get my surname back :)

I need to lead something and not get us all killed...

oh well never then :(
Well we can arange on a horsetrip from Castle sauvage to Snowdonia Fortress =)

But i guess peeps will die even then if you lead! hehe.
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

Hrm dunno :) people might fall off horses and break legs...
Second
Double Gloucester

Post by Second »

or break wind so person behind him dies
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

one more thing in keep takes that i was trying to do alone i think peel a few scouts and infs or in our case casters also to kill the rangers on the walls with 1 healer to heal them saves a lot of power for the other healers there job is also flank gurding and lookout duty as there useless for hittin doors...and when were in RvR groups have the last man in the group swivel camera to there rear
Second
Double Gloucester

Post by Second »

ooy i was pealing down archers from the front wall too:P i cant go too far from my main grp due to the pbt=)

but PL my scout up and i'll help ya peal down the archers :lol: