PC Parts - opinions please ?

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

PC Parts - opinions please ?

Post by Evzy »

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Gigabyte ga-k8n pro-sli
xfx Geforce 6600gt pci-e (sli ready)

Thinking of a rebuild with the above parts, got 1g ram ready to go in , sata 160gb hard drive as well. Might even spring for 2nd GFX card...

anyone use / used any of the above - advice / opinions appreciated !!
Currently appearing as SirEvzy - Spammer Spec in Black Ops on PS3
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Ah well...please don't say the gfx card explodes or the motherboard only works underwater now as I have ordered the bits...so still gonna be offline from DAOC proper until at least the weekend as not getting the parts til Friday..and then have to bribe my mate to glue em together and perform teh pc witchcraft!
Fingoniel
Brugs Broodje

Post by Fingoniel »

nah I'd not say that

it's the graphics card that only works underwater!
Mortal puppet of Flimgoblin
Captain of the Humberton Blackguard
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Just as well I got one of those Goldfish Bowl case-mods as well then!!! - You tie the mobo on the top and dangle the GFX cards in it.... Been a good boy as well and only ordered 1 gfx card for now (though missus is away next week in New Yoik so maybe will dip into the wedding fund and order the other one as well :D )

Anyone using dual GFX cards ? are they much better or not that different - e.g mine is costing about £100 a card, so will they just be comparable to a £200 standard card or will it r0xor that bit more ? - More for games like Counter Strike and UT etc where frames means prizes !!
Collegien
Cheshire

Post by Collegien »

Ahh teh Goldfish thang :) .... where are u gonna put the hamster ????

...and is it trained to use scuba gear ??

On a more serious note ..... Pineapple !!!!

:wink:
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

The hamster is obviously an integral part of the cooling system - how else would teh fans spin???

I did look at a pineapple mod as well but felt it too fruity to use just yet, will stick the other parts in first and see how stable it is !

On a serious note I think I have defo managed to persuade me mate to have it built ready for Sunday - my missus leaves Sun am , so by Sun afternoon the Isle of Agramon (or whatever it is) should finally quake with fear itself when I go on me first tour!!!
farewell
Stilton

Post by farewell »

I recently rebuilt my PC and I found the most important thing I added was 3gig memory ,you wouldnt believe the difference it make when duallogging .I can dual log with both accounts on max everything grfx wise.
Ive got 3gig P4,3gig memory and ATI radeon X800.
I can also /stick with bb ,which I could never do with the AMD 3000+,1gig memory I had before .
Farewell theurg lvl 43 rr1L8
Grarep necro lvl 50 rr1L9
Onit minstrel lvl 50 rr3l1
Farewellsbb lvl 45 cleric
Onitaid lvl29

Image Image
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Got 2 pc's that are capable of running a BB so don't need to worry on that front, just they aint great for actually playing on in RvR.

Think a memory upgrade to 2mb might be on the cards, tho gonna benchmark it first and see if its good enough to just leave it alone for awhile before embarking on further spending....want a new case as well now.....and that 2nd gfx card......and one of those saitek eclipse keyboards....and erm...anything else that I see in the meantime that I think "oooo well I am spending cash on getting the PC rebuilt anyways, whats another £***** gonna hurt" hmmm by the time missus gets back I am gonna have a fan cooled room with a 10 foot mobo, 17gfx cards and a talking clock !!
Collegien
Cheshire

Post by Collegien »

lol ... always enjoy reading your posts :P ....... givf piccy of ure 10 foot mobo ;)

Slightly off-topic but ..... marmite ?

:oops:
Byronis
Roquefort

Post by Byronis »

Evzy wrote:Just as well I got one of those Goldfish Bowl case-mods as well then!!! - You tie the mobo on the top and dangle the GFX cards in it.... Been a good boy as well and only ordered 1 gfx card for now (though missus is away next week in New Yoik so maybe will dip into the wedding fund and order the other one as well :D )

Anyone using dual GFX cards ? are they much better or not that different - e.g mine is costing about £100 a card, so will they just be comparable to a £200 standard card or will it r0xor that bit more ? - More for games like Counter Strike and UT etc where frames means prizes !!
Have a pair of 6800GT in mine, very nice :)
Mal

XB/PSN/Steam/Twitter: merseymal
Currently in ESO & LOTRO
farewell
Stilton

Post by farewell »

Collegien wrote:lol ... always enjoy reading your posts :P ....... givf piccy of ure 10 foot mobo ;)

Slightly off-topic but ..... marmite ?

:oops:
marmite sux .......vegimite 4tw
Onitaid lvl29

Image Image
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

I may smear marmite on the gfx card - should deter teh sharks in my goldfish bowl hopefully and also act as a heat insulator - really need to keep the card cooking at all times to get the best underwater smoke effects imo....
Collegien
Cheshire

Post by Collegien »

Yeah the gfx card idea should work well ... rather like teh old toast/pussy contraption. :o

I feel a little emabarassed to remind you but ....... Popeye! ... and the cat is full of trapped wind. :roll:
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Popeye......ah how is teh old one eyed freaky forearmed dude? Is he still seeing Brutus on the sly?

Sad to see postman pats cat may be on the way out as well but i guess the gas build up is what happens when he goes and throws them in a bin bag full of bricks into the river - I watch CSI - I know all about bloated corpses - print the bag imo and we may be able to send Pat down for Animal Cruelty !! Can see teh headlines now - "Fallen TV Star Postman in Bloated Pussy Shocker !! "
Collegien
Cheshire

Fallen TV Star Postman in Bloated Pussy Shocker!!

Post by Collegien »

BAH! now you have told everyone ;/

OK OK its true Postman Pat has got a wet pussy :oops:

Also Tom and Jerry are a little pissed off wIth Popeye atm tbh. Summat about a ratings drop after Brutus got all 'Loved Up' [or was it 'lubed'?] :o

Lets get back on topic now. I hope you get teh new peecee up and going nice and smoothly and the Scuba Hamster Pro wheel works well with the dual 6600 GT Marmite array. You might wanna use Olive Oil and get teh Missus to give you a hand installing teh Pineapple mod as i hear it can be hard to get in.

Also, so she knows where the "Wedding fund" is goin why not surprise her with a new GI Joe with a Kung Fu grip. :swords:

No doubt youre gonna tell us about the "unusual smell"
Evzy
Spambulance
Spambulance

Post by Evzy »

Hmmmm never thought about getting the GI-Joe with Kung-Fu grip, I was considering the Action Man with Eagle Eye movement originally...
The smell from the pc wasnt as bad as I first feared - the flames seem to have burned most of the smelly bits off ....and first impressions are that the pineapple mod is working safe n sound... I would post pictures but I hate to brag !!
Gribz0r
Wensleydale

Post by Gribz0r »

Farewell, is your 3gig P4 hyperthreading able or not? Because that could make a difference as well. It's not as good as dual core but it does show the system as having 2 cpu's (altho one is a logical cpu) and some applications make good use of it. That said daoc is a real memoryhog especially after running for a wee few hours.
DAoC Europe: Retired - DAoC US: Retired
EvE Online: Retired - Warhammer: Retired
WoW: Retired
Playing: Minecraft (sue me)
farewell
Stilton

Post by farewell »

yes it is
Onitaid lvl29

Image Image
Collegien
Cheshire

Post by Collegien »

OK have been advised to take it easy and make some kinda sense when i post stuff :/ ....nerf !!

So with that in mind I thought I would post the spec for the PC I got a few months ago :)

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 560 with Hyperthreading
technology
3.6GHz Level 2 cache 1MB 800MHz bus speed
Intel® 915P express chipset

Memory 1GB DDR2-SDRAM
4 DIMM sockets

Storage 500GB (2x250GB) Serial ATA hard drive (7200rpm)
incl. 5GB partition for system recovery
DVD drive 16x max.
DVD writer double layer ±R/ ±RW 16x max supporting
LightScribe technology
Create silkscreen-quality disc labels direct from your PC
with LightScribe: Just burn, flip, burn.

9in1 memory card reader
Communication High speed 56K modem < UBA FAST !!!! :wink:
10/100BT network interface
Wireless 802.11b/g with Software Access Point

Video NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6600 (VGA port, TV-out, DVI port)
256MB video memory
TV and FM radio tuner card with remote control (Front
video ports)

Sound Intel® High Definition Audio 7.1
3 front audio ports, 6 rear analog audio ports & 2 rear
digital audio ports

Ports & Expandability 1 PCI-Express 16x
3 PCI
7 USB 2.0 ports (3 in front)
2 FireWire-IEEE-1394 ports (1 in front)
1 parallel port

I doubled the memory to 2 GiG and it runs real well .. i can even play solitare and freecell ...at teh same time !!! :)

Not as OOObarr as teh one u havin made but hey I havent got a "wedding fund" :D ..and the goldfish was assassinated :(

:pint: