PC help desperately wanted

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

PC help desperately wanted

Post by Bleri McThrust »

Help my PC is occasionally shutting itself off and restarting. At first I thought it might just be overheating and need a clean out inisde but now I'm not so sure.

I've run HWmonitor which does show things running rather hot but also a lot of power being used so am wondering if maybe it might be PSU issue?

I am running Win 7 on the following system

Code: Select all

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4086MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 11
My graphiocs card is the following which I fitted replacing (I think) an ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB DDR2 PCI-E

Code: Select all

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 275
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E6&SUBSYS_00007377&REV_A1
     Display Memory: 2664 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 877 MB
      Shared Memory: 1787 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: BenQ G2220HD
         Monitor Id: BNQ7820
        Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
        Output Type: HD15
The PSU is (again I think as I couldnt see any markings when I took side of case off) a 750w ATX Power Supply.

All fans are working case and insides are free form dust any ideas and suggestions (sensible ones please :p ) greatly appreciated.
Bleri McThrust - Pole Armsman DAoC
Playing Skyrim

Steam id - Bleri / bpbill
Kongregate Id: bpbill
http://www.kongregate.com/?referrer=bpbill
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

If it's just randomly restarting and you're not getting any error message or blue screen then i'd guess it's either the PSU or a motherboard fault.

Try checking the manufacturer forums for your PSU and motherboard models and see if anyone else has had similar issues.
DAoC: Retired
Many Other MMO's: Retired
SW:TOR Retired
Ghengis
Danish Blue

Post by Ghengis »

have you checked for malware?
sleepy
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

iv had this before exact same thing it was my psu that needed upgradeing after i got a new gfx card . machine needed more power. try it m8 best thing is upgradeing the psu is never a bad thing to do really and there not expensive
come get some noobs!!!!!!
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

nice rig btw
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

I've just had a word with Novatech who supplied my PC and they reckon the PSU should be powerful enough.

However I also asked them about the Webcam on the wifes laptop which wasnt working and got the following
[11:25:10] Bill
the webcam doesnt work at all although it did when we first bought the laptop its a Bisoncam ]
[11:28:37] Danno
is the webcam listed in device manager?
[11:31:10] Bill
listed as USB video device rather than Bisoncam
[11:33:09] Danno
can you try uninstalling it and restart and let windows rienstall it
[11:32:46] Bill
am doing
[11:34:54] Bill
it comes up as device driver software not succesfully installed - device unplugged
[11:36:56] Danno
device unplugged would suggest its been turned off
[11:35:33] Bill
well i did just uninstall it
Doh

And of course had tried this and more in the past, I know this webcam has some problems in various laptops.
Playing Skyrim

Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

Having put the old card in and tried a few games out didn't have any reboots but I did hate the graphiocs settings required for the old card so put the new one back in. It's to hard to downgrade components :P

Have had aquick play around and not suffered a reboot yet, even GTA IV which was booting at a certain point went past it. Today is a lot cooler weather wise and PC is cooler also so I'm going to check out any MB forums and maybe explore the optoin of a new case fan.

And the PSU is 750w
Playing Skyrim

hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

ok 750 should be fine . it sounds like what you have already suspected overheating problems . how many fans you got running inside there in total ? . i have a serious gaming case rig and i have 3 fans in that alone one on the cpu and one of each of the 2 gfx cards im running . if you have a bog standard case with 1 or 2 internal fans look at gettin a better case tbh the high end cases are designed for better air flow and cooling. i say this because if you have a case were everything is jamed inwith not alot of space to get your hands in <you know the ones i mean heh> there useually cheap ones with a bad design . all this is a bit obvious i know but always worth bearing in mind
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

is it a laptop ? i thought you were talking about a base unit if so ignore previous post
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

It's a base unit (laptop with malfunctioning webcam is the wifes).

The Graphics card is HUGE with a ginourmous fan on it. Off the top of me head and without taking it apart at the moment I think there is one case fan a PSU fan and space for another case fan with, fixing point and grille.

If it wasnt for the Graphics card there would be space to house a family of goblins inside.

HWmonitor Screenshot after a short playtime session of Oblivion

Playing Skyrim

hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

lol 82 on core 3 yikes get that extra fan fitted
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

keep an eye on it over the next few days while its pissing it down and a bit colder . once it gets to hotter weather again next week so they say heh . see if the temps go up to mad lvls . if so fit the extra fan . once thats done monitor the new tempratures and compare with your old ones . just grab a few screenies . if that works its all good . if not try putin the base unit touching a freezer .P hehe sorry couldnt help it
or alternativly just fit the fan asap
Jomy
Double Gloucester

Post by Jomy »

Yo Hawkeye , did u read my PM ?

Jay
World of Warcraft : Active

Doomhammer/Turalyon , Alliance , Mc Vities (GoldShire Guard for alts)
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

sorry m8 ill read now i always forget to check em sorry
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

Biggest recorded temperature within my case, that's without crashing the system so must have run higher at some point, is now a whopping 97 Celsius on my Graphics Card.

Am now looking at what the GPU fan is doing in relation to temperatures reached.
Playing Skyrim

Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

What driver version are you using?

I remember not too long ago there was a problem with one of the nvidia drivers, where it wouldn't adjust the fan speed no matter what temperature the card was running at.

Alternatively, if you don't upgrade your graphics card too often then i highly recommend a water cooling system.
They're relatively inexpensive if you put them together yourself (pretty easy to do and lots of guides available) and whisper quiet.
Highest temp i've seen on my GTX280 under load was 67°C and overclocked CPU at 71°C.
DAoC: Retired
Many Other MMO's: Retired
SW:TOR Retired
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

I have the latest drivers but I do remember that release with people complaining about frying there systems.

Just been running MSI Afterburner and max temp GPU reached was 110C. Fan was running at 40% and didn't work any harder until the temp reached 80C. Even then it didn't raise much before it reached 90C when it finally went from 58% to 100%.

I'm going to have a look at setting the fan speeds manually and might try water cooling also, any recommendations I've never looked at them before. Actually never mind found a couple at the £70 mark, will check out adjusting the fan first.
Playing Skyrim

hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

hmm thats not good . the heating problem is the reason i run 2 older cards these days rather than a monster . i may be missing out on some stuff but not a huge amount. the water cooling option is a good idea tbh they used to be a nightmare to instal but they have moved on a now and they are fine . as anything with a pc stay calm and be patient hehe . that would also solve just about any future heating problems also really . hmm got me thinking now 70 quid huh . think ill do some research :D
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

oh go check out overclockers site they may some interesting stuff for you
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

hawkeye wrote:oh go check out overclockers site they may some interesting stuff for you
I noticed they had fan coolers but didn't see any water coolers on there.
Playing Skyrim