RIFT PVP

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Yrrab
Cheshire

RIFT PVP

Post by Yrrab »

Other than Warfronts is there any PVP action, for example out and about in the normal world/landscape?
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

yes scarwood reach has the 1st open pvp zone you will see . but i believe a player must be pvp flagged by choice .. i killed a few in shimmersand during and invasion
they were fighting same mobs as us and some ended up red to me so i kinda killed em heh
come get some noobs!!!!!!
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

I am sitting on the fence until we hear more about the PvP :)

Syncaine in his Rift review did say the following
More could certainly be done to make world PvP better in Rift, but what is there now is ‘good enough’, and very similar to the early days of WoW world PvP where players fight at various points just for the sake of fighting.

On all servers you have warfronts, which are queue-up instances PvP areas with objectives. These are well refined in terms of length (10-15 minutes), they balance well (neither side will have more players than the other, and the player cap will slowly be reached rather than one side filling up to fight half a team), and have their own reputation/currency systems. A new map opens up at 10 (kill the carrier), 20 (capture/hold objectives), 30 (capture the flag), and 50 (have yet to see it), while you never lose access to a previous map. The rewards are comparable to dungeon-quality loot (blues before 50, purple at 50), and the XP is significant enough that you could gain a considerable amount (or all) of each level just from warfronts.

Rift is certainly a PvE-first MMO, but its PvP feels like more than an after thought, and is quite enjoyable for what it is. If you queue up with a group, you are rewarded for good play and can make a very significant difference, which to me shows that things are well balanced and reward individual and group skill rather than simply coming down to who brings the better gear. The excellent soul system (more on that shortly) factors in heavily here, and not only allows you to specialize your role, but construct a well-complimenting group.
Bleri McThrust - Pole Armsman DAoC
Playing Skyrim

Steam id - Bleri / bpbill
Kongregate Id: bpbill
http://www.kongregate.com/?referrer=bpbill