Guild Wars 2

General stuff about WAR or any other games we play. Post and say hi!

Moderators: Fingoniel, Stranglehold Moderators

Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Yrrab wrote:I have no preference for server
Same, i've played on Ring of Fire since the first beta weekend but have no real attachment to it.
DAoC: Retired
Many Other MMO's: Retired
SW:TOR Retired
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Did a teenie bit of research and found this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/p ... 89#5168089

Will help avoid an unofficial Italian server for example.

Desolation looks like quite a good bet based on this (albeit possibly not very accurate) information. But a population of 'Northern' Europeans seems like a good one to me.
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Agreed, looks like s good bet
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Desolation looks like a good choice.

If i get a chance to log in tonight i'll make a char on it and see what it's like.
Egor
Cornish Yarg

Post by Egor »

Think I'm going to dip into this too - Thinking of playing a Guardian atm. What do you reckon would be the best class to stop my Dad falling off cliffs with? :P
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Egor wrote:Think I'm going to dip into this too - Thinking of playing a Guardian atm. What do you reckon would be the best class to stop my Dad falling off cliffs with? :P
I think stopping him falling off is futile, better just to be able to heal him up afterwards :)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

I went exploring last night - and fell off a cliff ...
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Had a bit more of aplay about last night, trying to decide if Talifer needs to build me a new computer before release date.

Going with a human elementalist and a Norn Guardian with a Mesmer if and when I get time or frustrated at the lack of Mesmers in WvW :)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

So far my favorite order is:

sylvari elementalist,
human ranger,
human guardian,
asura thief,

i need a bit more time to work out which is best - for example I took the elementalist pvping last night but havent found a staff yet so its difficult to gauge how they work at maximun range etc
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Catalina
Caboc

Post by Catalina »

Yrrab wrote:So far my favorite order is:

sylvari elementalist,
human ranger,
human guardian,
asura thief,

i need a bit more time to work out which is best - for example I took the elementalist pvping last night but havent found a staff yet so its difficult to gauge how they work at maximun range etc
Heh, the staff is aoe heaven in pvp.
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

That's the one for me then :)
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Yrrab wrote:So far my favorite order is:

sylvari elementalist,
human ranger,
human guardian,
asura thief,

I think if you go to the Halls of Mist (from Hero screen) you get a buffed up weapon set etc to allow you to use all the skills - I didn't get as far as trying it out properly though as I got a bit confused by all the tutorials on the way and the difference between free and paid for arena battles. Hoping for a decent manual toappear on-line somewhere soon!
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Bleri McThrust
Danish Blue

Post by Bleri McThrust »

Was just going to say maybe Ring of Fire wasn't the best option due to this list seems the declared guilds are all Russian/Eastern European, not that I have anything against them.

Pretty sure there will be problems with population to start anyways.

See you all after the headstart has finished as we will not be around for the very beggining anyway. Character wise I would have liked to make a siege character but as all characters have siege capability I think I might break the habit of a lifetime and roll a ........................... hmmm Warrior (at least for duo play with the missus and maybe a ranger for solo).
Bleri McThrust - Pole Armsman DAoC
Playing Skyrim

Steam id - Bleri / bpbill
Kongregate Id: bpbill
http://www.kongregate.com/?referrer=bpbill
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

I used the staff in the practice area and it was neat but as soonas I found any live action I was back to my normal eqipped items so its was difficult to know how good it would be in live action. It will all work its way throough I guess.

I am quite taken by the elementalist though
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

ok lets adopt desolation as our server then based on what info you guys have got .. on headstart or launch all go there

thats if i ever get on :/
come get some noobs!!!!!!
Egor
Cornish Yarg

Post by Egor »

Ok I'm purchased and downloaded ready for head start but haven't had a chance to play due to moving house 3 weeks ago and having no internet.

Based on reading up atm I'm thinking a Human Guardian as my main going with my usual archetype of healer/hybrid(probably a "gimped" spec to go with my usual jack of all trades playstyle.

Also liking the look of a Norn ranger though - thinking of a sort of "hunter" type vibe based on their lore

I think the wildcard could be the Engineer class - I really like the look of it and think it could maybe duo with Yrrab's Ranger well and be pretty good/annoying in PvP if you can work it out but it looks the most bugged class atm from what I can tell. Thinking of an Asura and going with the House of Invention or whatever it was called.
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Still haven't managed to get any sense out of Talifer (nothing new there though!) but in particular about his class choice. Doesn't look like it matters too much though.

I tried the Asura in the last stress test but I found the starting area irritating - too much like WoW's gnomes for my liking so will probably be avoiding that race at least. And I cant abide ugly characters so that rules out the Charrs :)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Sadly I will miss the headstart - will probably get seriously onlime about 29th Aug.
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Talifer
Cornish Yarg

Post by Talifer »

Javai wrote:Still haven't managed to get any sense out of Talifer (nothing new there though!) but in particular about his class choice. Doesn't look like it matters too much though.

I tried the Asura in the last stress test but I found the starting area irritating - too much like WoW's gnomes for my liking so will probably be avoiding that race at least. And I cant abide ugly characters so that rules out the Charrs :)
I want to play an unpopular class that ends up being essential in groups :)
That's why I went Shaman in WAR, people don't play such classes because solo is crap but when it gets to raids they are a must so easy to get into groups.
I'm looking at the Engineer for this reason, though I've not actually looked at any game info so I don't really know what any class does ;)
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Yrrab wrote:Sadly I will miss the headstart - will probably get seriously onlime about 29th Aug.
We've got the headstart 3 whole days over a bank holiday weekend - which in our new world translates to 10 hours gameplay if we're lucky :)
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

It will take me a day to cacth up then :)
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

talifer .. you should be looking at engineer or mesmer then there the main classes with a lot of group utility .. provided you spec for that of course .. in world pvp and pve there group utility is pretty huge

egor there is no actual holy trinity in this game .. healer ,tank ,Dps
there pretty much all hybrid classes .. just play what seems fun . if you dont like it change the spec or try another class ..
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Another stress test tonight, yay time to give the mesmer a proper run out and see how it feels.
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

there is a apatch which you might want to start downloading now
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Is Desolation the definiate choice for launch server?
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

may as well be barry .. at least nobody has found it to be an unoffical (insert languahe here ) server

im pretty buisy for the next few days so ill see you lot in game .. if you change the server choice .. post here plz otherwise ill goto desolation
Egor
Cornish Yarg

Post by Egor »

Got to try the stress test for about 2 hours and rolled a human guardian - quite liked it but was finding having no range a problem when trying to compete for quests and events etc. Doing some research online I think I'm going to roll a rifle wielding warrior as my main come launch - I think it looks pretty fun, can output a lot of damage, and has quite good survivability with heavy armour and extra hp compared to a ranger. We shall see.

Looking forward to seeing you all in game and getting some of the old gang together!

Any thoughts on a guild name!?
hawkeye
Danish Blue

Post by hawkeye »

if i remeber right egor the rifle has a signifantly smaller range than a long bow . so your dam output compared to a ranger will be bad at range .. however as you said a rifle totting guardian gives you range to pull were you can swap to mele then beat mobs down
i wouldnt spec for the rifle myself and just use it to pull .but that said its certainly an interesting idea .. a typical HG gimped spec
kinda like specing a mesmer to duel weild daggers ... hmmm thats an intersting one ..<buggers off to do some research>
Yrrab
Cheshire

Post by Yrrab »

Rifle range looks like its 1200 which is same as ranger longbow :)
Yrrab - Elementalist
Yrrow - Ranger
Yrrwigo - Thief
Javai
Chocolate

Post by Javai »

Managed to make a guild in the brief test last night, occurred to me we need a guild name and a 'tag', since the tag is what everyone sees almost as important to choose that as the name itself.

I started Fates Chosen, but didn't like the FC tag - that will always be First Cohort in my head.

Since you can be a member of multiple guilds, I'll probably start something with Talifer on the first day, which can either take everyone or we can join one you guys make as well.

Edit: Looking back at the old DaoC Alliance boards we could go for Knights of Humberton with KoH?
Javai
Favail
Windraven
Meina
GM Fates Tainted